Debut EP out now!
Good news; my song ‘Windowsill’ is currently being played on Norwegian radio on NRK P1 Sørlandssendinga. So rewarding that it is reaching new listeners. Also a huge thanks to everyone that came to support me and the other bands when playing at Mojo Acoustics Friday 22 November. Thanks heaps Steph Casey and Jim Walmsley for joining me on stage.
Want to support me?
If you like my music, please tell others. Any help with promoting it makes a huge difference. Thanks heaps!
Listen or buy on:
I am a Wellington singer-songwriter, originally from Norway, but have been living in New Zealand since 2004.
I grew up on the remote and tiny island Sula, a fishing village, off the coast of Norway. My grandfather ran the lighthouse, there were no cars, no trees, only a very small community consisting of just over 200 people. The nearest city was four hours away by boat. When I was 10 we moved to the town Arendal.
The roughness of the sea and nature has inspired me deeply and I approach my songwriting with these images and scents in mind. When I finally decided to write lyrics in English, it struck me how influenced I was by Norwegian lyrics, particularly those by Anne Grete Preus. The beautiful pictures that she paints with her words have always touched me.
Reviewers are calling my music acoustic pop and singer/songwriter style. I find it hard to put a label to my songs and probably move between different genres. ‘Watch over me’ is my first studio recording. I loved every bit of the process. It is very exciting and rewarding knowing that the songs are now out there living their own life and being listened to.
I am delighted that ‘Watch over me’ is receiving great reviews. Three reviews and all really positive:
- ‘Watch Over Me EP (June 2013) – Review by Ania Glowacz in NZ Musician online
- ‘Watch Over Me’ from Hanne Jøstensen – well worth exploring (16 April 2013) - Review by Tim Carroll in UK based FolkWords
- Hanne Jøstensen: Høy sol, lav himmel (17 April 2013) – Review by Magne Fonn Hafskor in the Norwegian online music magazine Hissig, received 4 out of 5 stars
So far, one New Zealand and two Norwegian newspapers have published stories about the CD release:
- Hitra-Frøya (03 May 2013) – local Norwegian newspaper, follow-up story based on the reviews the CD is getting
- Hitra-Frøya (22 March 2013)
- The Wellingtonian (25 April 2013) – local New Zealand newspaper
- Agderposten (18 April 2013) – regional Norwegian newspaper (see photo below)
Email me on firstname.lastname@example.org
I would love to hear from you